Friday, September 10, 2010

Week 4

There was still a fair bit of waste left from last week - not unexpected as some of it was a bit 'hard' (carrot stumps etc) and not as soft as the wrigglers like.  Only added two very soft bananas (not the skins) on Wednesday so as not to overfeed.  This morning there are lots of worms crowded around the mush so they seem to like that....  :)

The top layers of paper tend to dry out a bit, especially at the edges, so I've started using a water sprayer to damp them down a bit every few days.  Basically when I check them every couple of days, I peel back the papers, and if they feel dry I give them a few squirts of water.

Found my first worm eggs this week!  Very exciting...  :)  Also found some worms mating on the top shelf in the sump...  Moved them carefully back into the tray - hopefully not interfering too much with what they were getting up to...  The 'earth' definitely moved for them though!

No comments:

Post a Comment