Tuesday, August 24, 2010

End of Week One

It's been an eventful week, taping up the wormery every evening (having to dry it off first in the wet weather), unsealing it again every morning, and checking for escapees...  The new gaffa tape was clearly inferior as in the very wet weather it didn't give a very good seal, and there were a few absconders for a couple of nights.  I found a fair few hiding under the wormery itself, and a few more under a patch of weeds close by.  Some more were under some trash by the wall, so hopefully I didn't lose too many in all.

Tonight I plucked up the courage to not seal the wormery...  How would it go?  Would they all make a bid for freedom the minute the sun was down?

I checked just after sundown and there was no sign of escaping.  I held my breath (not literally) and cooked my dinner.

After dinner I checked again - still no sign of escaping!  I breathed a sigh of relief...

Looks like they have finally settled in and are happy with the surroundings.

Tomorrow they get another couple of handfuls of the supplied feed - it'll be another week before the instructions say I can start putting food waste in for them to chomp on.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment