Thursday, August 19, 2010

Night One - not quite the Great Escape!

Having made sure that I read and re-read the instructions carefully, I remembered that the worms usually try to escape from the wormery during the first few nights....  During the day they will stay put as they don't like light, but once the sun goes down, they will start investigating and looking for somewhere more to their liking - the wormery will still be a bit 'sterile', rather like a brand new house that smells of paint and new carpet.  Some like this, some don't - those that don't will start looking for somewhere else.

So, just after sundown I popped out the back door with a big torch (my outside light isn't working right now) and checked the wormery.  Yes, the little wrigglers were making a bid for freedom!  Dozens of them were up on top of the paper and in the lid - thankfully none had actually made it out of the unit yet.  Quite a few had also managed to make it past the barrier at the bottom of the tray and were in the sump.  There are 'steps' in this sump tray as it's quite normal to have a few worms in there when things are working normally and the worms can crawl back up into the tray.

Out with the gaffa tape and the lid was sealed onto the tray and the gap between the base tray and the sump was sealed too.  That should keep my little soldiers in their new home for the night...

If my outside light was working, I'd have left that on all night as that would also have stopped the worms from trying to escape.  I considered bringing the wormery indoors for the night, but was dissuaded by my housemate, who didn't fancy dodging escaping worms during the evening of early morning...

Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment