Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Start of Week 2

All was well this morning - no worms found hiding under objects I had carefully placed (just in case), and no worms in the sump.  Over the previous week fewer and fewer worms had been found in the sump each morning, which I have taken as a good sign that the habitat was becoming more to the worms' liking.

I opened up the wormery and carefully removed the top layers of damp paper, putting them in the upturned lid for safekeeping.  There was a fair amount of bits of compost and I didn't want to lose any potential worm eggs that might be included in this 'litter'.  Only a few worms found lurking between the layers of paper.

As I'd been extra careful not to poke the worms about during the first week, it all looked a bit compacted under the paper so I carefully ran my fingers through the compost and shredded paper to aerate it a bit (and to check for worms!).

Plenty of little (and big) wrigglers in there so I'm now confident that the gaffa tape did it's job last week.

Sprinkled over a couple of handfuls of the supplied worm food and put the damp paper layers back on, then replaced the lid.

Will check it again in a couple of days and make sure things aren't getting too compacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment