Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday, Week 2

Gave the worms a quick check today - we'd had a lot of rain again and I just wanted to be sure they hadn't suffered.  The previous wormery unit I'd been using suffered very badly from letting water in when it rained, and would often have up to 2 litres of water in the sump after a hard rain.

No worries - the worms were all snug and damp, but not drowning.  There was a bit more water in the sump but nothing too concerning.

I peeled back the top layers of damp paper to see how much of the cereal they had consumed in the past couple of days.  I was quite surprised to see most of it still there, although the edges had certainly been munched on, so I guess the instructions really are right and a couple of handfuls will last the the week...

I soaked off some ripped up egg boxes and put a layer on the top of the compost to make sure they still have plenty of air, then replaced the damp paper layers.

Will check them again in another couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment